This programme is designed for operatives who carry out excavation, backfill and reinstatement of various materials for undertaking street works.
- Course Overview
Number of Delegates: Max number 8 per course
Duration: 1-5 Days (subject to units)
Overview: To provide delegates with the skills and knowledge to perform Supervisor duties to the standards prescribed by SQA in-line with the NRSWA Act 1991, in order to safeguard themselves and others.
A light lunch will be provided to delegates attending this course.
Lunch will be provided to delegates attending this course.
- Who should Attend
- This programme is designed for supervisors who are required to monitor operatives performing excavation, backfill and reinstatement duties.
- Course Content
- Location and avoidance of underground apparatus.
- Monitoring signing, lighting and guarding.
- Monitoring excavation in the highway.
- Monitoring reinstatement of compaction and backfill materials.
- Monitoring reinstatement of sub-base and road base non-bituminous materials.
- Monitoring reinstatement of bituminous materials.
- Monitoring reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways.
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Summarise the requirements of the NRSW Act 1991.
- Select appropriate personal protective and safety equipment as required to carry out street works activities.
- Monitor duties performed by Operatives for each unit and/or qualification as prescribed by SQA standards in-line with current legislation, and ACOP where applicable.
- Provide a safe working environment for themselves and others.
- Final qualification
- Courses are available in units 001, 010 to 014 and 016 and A separate certificate is issued for each unit. In addition, various combinations of the units will lead to a full Street Works qualification for which an SWQR card will be awarded.
- Additional Information
A high proportion of practical exercises and simulated assessments, supplemented with video and classroom based tutorials. Supervisors have to demonstrate the ability to monitor a site and compile written reports in order to successfully complete the course. A training group may contain a mix of both Supervisors and Operatives, however a minimum of 2 Operatives must be available for Supervisors to carry out monitoring exercises, thus enabling the most effective development of these candidates.
Delegates attending this course should be physically and mentally fit to withstand the rigours of training. Training may be permitted at your own location subject to approval by the Awarding Body (further information is available upon request).