Developed by MHFA England, this two-day course qualifies delegates as mental health first aiders. Delegates will get a deep understanding of what mental health is and what factors can affect wellbeing. The course teaches delegates practical skills to spot the signs of mental illness and gives them the confidence to step in and support a person who needs assistance.
Duration: 2 Days
The two-day mental health first aid course is for those wanting to become a certified mental health first aider for their organisation. Certificate holders will be able to recognise the signs and symptoms of common mental health illnesses and effectively guide a colleague towards the right support. It is recommended an organisation has a similar number of mental health first aiders to medical first aiders, ideally a different individual providing further resilience for colleagues in the workplace.
Who Should Attend
This course is suitable for those who want to gain the necessary skills to have a non-judgmental conversation, recognise the signs and symptoms of common workplace mental health issues and effectively guide a person towards the right support.
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- What is depression?
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- What is mental health?
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Impact of mental health issues
- Cognitive distortions and cognitive behavioural therapy
- Stigma and discrimination
- Personality disorders
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Eating disorders
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- What is psychosis?
- Depression in the workplace
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid to assist a suicidal crisis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- Bipolar disorder
- First aid for depression
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Treatment and resources for depression
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- Action planning for using MHFA
- First aid for anxiety disorders
On completion of the course, delegates will receive a Mental Health First Aider certificate
There is no formal assessment for this course but delegates must complete all sections of the course.